The Goodbye Cookie by Marcia Meislin
Book Club Discussion Guide
- What are the key themes in this story?
- What is the significance of the rainbow cookie? Literally and metaphorically?
- Why is the book called The Goodbye Cookie? Why did the author choose the subtitle, “Never Giving Up”?
- Think about a food from your childhood that has an emotional connection for you. What role does that food play in your life today? Or, what role do “comfort foods” play in your life?
- How does The Goodbye Cookie extend beyond food?
- How did the author cope with the losses in her life? What new coping mechanisms did she adapt later on, and how did they help?
- Marcia Meislin often talks about feeling like an outsider. In what way have you ever felt like an outsider in your life?
- Many people underestimate the effects of childhood illnesses or allergies. How did asthma affect the author’s life? How do childhood illnesses impact both the child and the family?
- A big focus of the book is “body image.” Describe the author’s evolution with regard to her own body image. What body image issues do you face?
- Our society is obsessed with weight and thinness. To what extent does that obsession impact your life?
- Name a particular scene or chapter in the memoir that struck you the most. Why did you choose this section?
- Many of us know people who have been on a weight loss or self-discovery journey. What advice would you give them when they are faltering?
- Which questions, if any, in the self-help section resonated for you?
- Are there any self-help tips that you could incorporate into your own life?
- What do you think is the takeaway message for this book?